BUCKINGHAMS LEARY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310187
Date first listed:
13-May-1987
Statutory Address:
BUCKINGHAMS LEARY FARMHOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310187.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2021 at 17:44:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
BUCKINGHAMS LEARY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
East and West Buckland
National Grid Reference:
SS 65738 29850

Details

EAST AND WEST BUCKLAND SS 62 NE 5/57 Buckinghams Leary Farmhouse - II

Farmhouse. Early C16 with possibly earlier origins, probably extended in late C16 and remodelled in early C17 and extended to rear in C18, with cottage addition at right end in 1858. Earlier range stone rubble and cob. Thatch roof with brick stack at left gable end and front lateral hall stack largely rebuilt in brick. Half-hipped thatch roof to rear C18 extension. 1858 addition of stone rubble with slate roof and brick stack at right end. Plan: Earlier range consists of former open hall to right heated by front lateral stack with stair turret to rear and possibly incporporating a former through-passage at its right end, the front doorway having been blocked and a window inserted. Entrance now to large room to left of hall, probably a C17 addition containing an internal winder staircase to the rear wall, and also extended slightly at the left end presumably when the gable end stack was inserted in C19. To the rear left end of hall is a short 2 storey C18 right angled extension with access by secondary flight of stairs incorporated in hall stair turret. 1858 cottage extension at right end with separate entrance and single principal ground floor room, but with internal access from main range. Dairy outshut to rear left end. 2 storeys. Earlier range has 4 windows range, 2-light casements. 2-light casements to left of porch with lean-to roof. Three 3-light casements to right, the whole front wall having been built out in line to the left of the hall stack. 1858 addition has two 2-light casements 3 panes per light above gabled slate roof to porch with small 1858 datestone and plank door. 16 paned sash to right with roughly dressed stone voussoirs. Interior: Wide chamfered axial ceiling beams to left hand room of earlier range. 2 ovolo-moulded cross ceiling beams to hall with thinner hollow-step stopped chamfered bressumer at left end and similar beam of lighter scantling, chamfered on the lower side axis only, towards right-hand end which may demarcate a former hall/through- passage partition. Massive cob walls rising to apex of roof at each end of hall. Raised cruck truss with cambered collar visible over the hall, closed, the upper floor partition retaining a C17 chamfered door surround with scroll-stopped durns. No access to this part of roofspace, but the cruck feet are set so low in the walls as to leave little doubt that this part was formerly open to the roof. The original roof structure survives largely intact over the left-hand room, with no evidence of smoke-blackening.

Listing NGR: SS6573829850

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98910
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14229/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].