CATHEDRAL CLOISTER SOUTH RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1310239
Date first listed:
06-May-1952
Statutory Address:
CATHEDRAL CLOISTER SOUTH RANGE, PALACE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHEDRAL CLOISTER SOUTH RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310239 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 18:30:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CATHEDRAL CLOISTER SOUTH RANGE, PALACE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27319 42088

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE PALACE GREEN NZ 2742 SW (South side, off)

14/367 Cathedral cloister 6/5/52 south range

GV I

South range of cathedral cloister, comprising frater and undercroft, with kitchen beyond on north side of the College (q.v.); now library and offices. East end of south range, originally first dorter, prior's lodging and chapel with undercrofts, is now the Deanery on the north side of the College (q.v.). C11 undercroft; frater rebuilt for Dean Sudbury c.1684; restored 1858 by Salvin. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; roof not visible. Basement and one high storey; 14 bays. Passage entrance at east end to Deanery and College. 1684 entrance to frater has doorcase of Tuscan pilasters, on lozenge-panelled plinths, flanking bolection-moulded keyed arch on impost blocks; entablature has cornice breaking forward over tapered pilasters. To east of this, blocked 2-centred arch to original frater steps. Cloister has 11 two-centred arches, with C18 intersecting tracery, on dwarf walls with rounded coping; gabled buttresses; roll-moulded parapet. 2-light library windows of 1858, with 4-centred heads. Battlemented parapet. C19 wall monument to Sharp family; early C18 cartouche with skull and other ornament to Richard Graham 'Natus Aug 30, Denatus Dec 22, 1689' Latin inscription. South elevation has small undercroft windows with monolith round heads.

Interior: undercroft entrance in west wall of barrel-vaulted passage at east end of range; first east bay and 3 west bays have barrel vaults, as has passage; 5 intermediate bays have 3-aisled groined vaults resting on short square columns with abaci. To west of undercroft are 4 small chambers, one known as a cellar and the others as the covey, with a serving hatch with cusped head. Library above has C17 bookcases and presses; Romanesque wall painting behind one case; loft at west end has bolection-moulded panelling and stair balustrades of late C17 type.

Listing NGR: NZ2732042091

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110422
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11474/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].