CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310294
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HIGH STARTFORTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310294 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:16:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HIGH STARTFORTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Startforth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 04743 15936

Details

NZ 0415 STARTFORTH HIGH STARTFORTH (North side)

12/168 Church of Holy Trinity

GV II

Parish Church, 1863 by J. & W. Hay of Liverpool,replacing medieval building. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with ornamental purple tile cresting. West tower, 3-bay aisleless nave with south porch, chancel with south organ chamber and north vestry. Free late C13 style.

Chamfered plinths, moulded sill string. Tower has big diagonal stepped buttresses and south-east stair turret, semi-octagonal in upper stages. Boarded west double doors in moulded arch with jamb shafts, under 2-light window; smaller trefoil-headed windows on north and to stair. Moulded string and set-back below belfry with stepped lancets under truncated gables. 3-stage broach spire with symbols of evangelists as gargoyles at each corner of base, moulded strings and gabled lucarnes; wrought-iron finial cross. Porch has double-chamfered arch and spheric triangle window on each side; stone benches, Minton-tiled floor and scissor-braced roof. Nave has stepped buttresses and trefoil-headed lights, mostly paired, each with pierced trefoil above. Small trefoil window in east gable peak and 2 small gabled dormers with trefoil-headed windows and finials, on each roof slope. Organ chamber and chancel have similar windows. East end has diagonal buttresses and 3-light window . Head stops to hoodmoulds. Coped gables on moulded kneelers; finial crosses.

Interior: Plastered. Tower has double-chamfered arch to renewed west gallery. Moulded chancel arch on keeled responds; chamfered organ chamber arch. Carved stone pulpit. Tiled sanctuary with panelled stone and marble reredos. Nave roof with scissor-braced trusses on head corbels alternating with arch-braced collar-beam trusses; panelled-wagon roof to chancel.

Octagonal limestone font with shields, 2 with letters R and E (perhaps for Robert Ellerton, abbot of Egglestone 1476-95) and one with RK monogram probably for King Richard III (similar coeval font in Barnard Castle parish church). Incised slab to Thomas and Alice Blande c.1390 beneath altar; worn C14 female effigy to north. Six C13 cross slabs in porch, including priest's slab with chalice, book and blessing hand, also C17 slab with inscription running in spiral.

Listing NGR: NZ0474315936

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111759
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04821/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].