CHURCH OF SAINT HILARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1310334
Date first listed:
10-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT HILARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT HILARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310334.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 05:17:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT HILARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Hilary
National Grid Reference:
SW 55046 31298

Details

SW53SE ST HILARY CHURCHTOWN

1529/2/138 Church of St Hilary

10.6.54

GV I

Parish church. C13 tower, otherwise rebuilt in 1855 by William White {following a fire in 1853). Granite and elvan rubble with granite dressings. Dry scantle slate roofs with replica C17 or earlier crested clay ridge tiles. Plan: C13 west tower; the remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1855 including nave/chancel with lantern over the crossing; slightly shorter north and south aisles; very shallow north and south transepts and deep south porch. Early English style. Exterior: North doorway reused from old church: 4-centred arch, hoodmould and moulded jambs over scrolled stops. Sundial, dated 1787 to H. Bond over the porch doorway. West tower is complete: tapered 2-stage tower surmounted by tall broach spire with statue of Saint Hilary to south east face of spire; weathered corner buttresses to lower stage, roll moulded corners above; pointed west doorway moulded to both sides; small west window with some old glass, 2-light Y -traceried louvred 2-light windows to bell floor, gargoyles under parapet and small vents to the spire and weather vane. The C 19 parts of the church are unaltered with Y-traceried windows and trefoil headed lights. Interior: C14 pointed tower arch over moulded octagonal-on-plan imposts; unaltered C19 structure including 5 bay arcades with pointed arches carried on slender piers between the nave and aisles; 3-bay arcades between the chancel and aisles; arch braced roofs with cusped ashlaring and lantern over the crossing.- Fittings: C4 Roman milestone with tribute to the Emperor Constantine, C13 granite font used as piscina, C14 statue of Saint Anne; C17 carving of Saint joseph; C19 granite font; altar and choir stalls painted by Ernest Proctor, Annie Walker, Harold Harvey; Norman Garstin, Harold Knight, Alathea Garstin and Gladys Hynes {all painters of the Newlyn School) reredos in Lady Chapel painted by Ernest Proctor; parclose screen in north aisle painted by joan Manning Saunder when aged between 10 and 12; and other works by artists of The Newlyn School. In 1932 there was a raid on the church when altars and images were damaged. This was following a court order after objections had been made about the form of services carried out by Father Bernard Walke. Sources: Church guide; Kellys Directories; Saint Hilary of Cornwall by Horace Keast.



Listing NGR: SW5504831298

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
70042
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of Saint Hilary Church Guide, St Hilary, Cornwall
Keast, H, Saint Hilary of Cornwall
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].