This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1310362



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Downham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49473

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 58 SW DOWNHAM TOWER ROAU (North Side) 4/20 Barn to east of 5.2.52 Tower Farmhouse

GV 11*

Barn, formerly the kitchen range attached to hall range (demolished) of the Bishop of Ely's Palace. Built for Bishop Alcock (1486-1500). Red brick with deeper red brick diaper patterning; plinth coursed in English bond with chamfered limestone band. Roof recently burnt in fire, 1984 and replaced with red pantile covering. One storey kitchen, chambered to the west with octagonal side stack in crow-stepped gable wall; large lateral stack to east of south wall reduced to eaves height and opened in C19 as entrance to the barn. West gable leanto with weatherings in gable wall of original roof. Wall to east C20 and side stack. Dentil brick eaves cornices. South elevation. Blocked four-centred arched doorway to left hand; five-light ground floor window with stone jambs and chamfered mullions. Three first floor windows, one with original wave moulded brick jambs and brick label, (without frames 1984). Interior: Kitchen hearth with wide four-centred pointed brick arch and baking oven with drying chamber above. Blocked openings in north wall suggest an entrance at ground floor to a vaulted passage beside the hall with wide four-centred brick arched servery to left hand; blocked first floor window-and two arched recesses to chamber above hall. Recesses at first floor in north and south walls indicate the position of the east wall of the kitchen chamber. Blocked openings of west wall; door at ground floor to leanto, one at first floor to garderobe and to blocked hearth. The Palace was the favourite of the medieval bishops, damaged in the Civil War it was demolished in the C18, a lease of 1746 refers to its conversion as a farmhouse.

Bishopric of Ely Lease Book. June 1746, p318-321 R.C.H.M. (Measured Drawings) 1977 V.C.H. p92 Pevsner: Buildings of England p330 Patterson, W: The Village and the Church 1974

Listing NGR: TL5187884172

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bishopric of Ely Lease Book, (1746), 318-321
Patterson, W , The Village and Church, (1974)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 330
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 92

National Grid Reference: TL 51878 84172


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310362 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 07:47:22.

End of official listing