BRUNNER GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310409
Date first listed:
12-Mar-1986
Statutory Address:
BRUNNER GUILDHALL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRUNNER GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310409.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 07:42:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRUNNER GUILDHALL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winsford
National Grid Reference:
SJ 64603 66337

Details

WINSFORD FORMER U.D. HIGH STREET SJ 66 NW 4/104 Brunner Guildhall. - GV II Guildhall. Dated 1899. Red English garden wall bond brick with terra-cotta dressings and slate roof. Two storeys.Flemish Gothic. Entrance front: Eight bays, nearly symmetrically disposed. The two bays at centre are paired as are the two to either side of them which have gables above. Two central ground floor entrances have basket arches, that at right containing double doors, that at left containing window with two basket-arched lights and datestone below of pink granite which reads

THIS HALL WAS PRESENTED TO THE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL OF WINSFORD BY SIR JOHN TOMLINSON BRUNNER BARONET MEMBER FOR THE NORTHWICH DIVISION OF CHESHIRE IN TRUST FOR THE DAILY USE OF TRADE AND FRIENDLY SOCIETIES AND OTHER PUBLIC PURPOSES UNDER THE MANAGEMENT OF A REPRESENTATIVE COMMITTEE AND WAS OPENED BY HIM ON THE FOURTH DAY OF NOVEMBER 1899

EDWIN HAMLETT CHAIRMAN ) OF THE COUNCIL JOHN HENRY COOKE CLERK )

ON THE FIFTEENTH DAY OF SEPTEMBER 1898 THE COUNCIL, MR WILLIAM STUBBS, CHAIRMAN DECIDED BY RESOLUTION TO GIVE TO THE BUILDING THE NAME OF THE BRUNNER GUILDHALL.

Two cross windows to first floor with ogee heads to upper lights and ovolo moulded terra-cotta surrounds. The two bays to either side of the centre set under the shaped gables have cross windows to the ground floor with ogee heads and ovolo moulded surrounds as before. Similar, fuller windows to first floor each with mullion and 2 transoms. Between these windows run canted decorative vertical strips rising through to the apexes of the gables. Gables have ovolo moulded terra-cotta coping with angled finials to lower sides and summit. To far left and right are 3-light windows of the usual format to both floors. Right hand gable end: shaped gable. Five of the canted decorative vertical strips of terra-cotta seen on the entrance front appear here. Three-light ground floor window with transom and taller first floor window with two transoms. Left hand gable end: Similar save for 2-light ground floor window to left. Rear: central projecting gabled staircase wing with single mezzanine window of 4-lights with cambered relieving arch above. To either side are 3-light ground and first floor windows. To far right is an outshut with a two-light window and a hipped roof and to the left is a second, later lean-to outshut.

Listing NGR: SJ6460366337

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57388
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07782/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Riley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].