Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310440.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:30:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Seaton Ross
National Grid Reference:
SE 78129 41328


HUMBERSIDE EAST YORKSHIRE 5268 SEATON ROSS CHURCH LANE SE 74 SE (west side) 5/58 Church of Saint Edmund 26.1.67 - II Church. 1788, restored 1901-8 by Temple Moore. Orange brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings, plain tile roof. Two-stage west tower, 4-bay nave, single-bay chancel. West tower: small round-headed window to ground floor, paired similar openings to belfry, all under gauged brick arches. Datestone above belfry openings. Stepped brick eaves cornice, pyramidal roof with windvane. Nave: 3 shortened round-headed cross-mullion windows with leaded glazing under gauged brick arches. (The original stone sills are now below an apron of brick inserted in 1901-8.) Double leaf boarded door under round gauged brick arch. Sundial over with inscription:

Disce dies numerare tuos 1825 William Watson delin

Dentilled brick eaves cornice, plain close verges. Chancel: 3-light mullioned window with leaded glazing under segmental arch. Plain Venetian east window. Dentilled eaves cornice, shaped kneelers to coped gable. Cross finial. Interior: C18 pulpit with raised and fielded panelling under sounding board with cornice. C18 altar rails with centre gate, turned balusters, and heavy moulded handrail with knob finials. Plain C12 tub font in tower chamber.

Listing NGR: SE7812941328


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06488/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Roworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].