WORMSLEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1310444

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Statutory Address: WORMSLEY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WORMSLEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310444 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:34:59.

Location

Statutory Address: WORMSLEY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe (District Authority)

Parish: Stokenchurch

National Grid Reference: SU7383894527

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOKENCHURCH WORMSLEY SU 79 SW

5/162 Wormsley House

21.6.55

GV II

Large house. Circa 1800 remodelling of mid C18 building. Colourwashed render, slate roofs, brick chimneys. U-plan. 3 storeys, 6 bays. Plinth, moulded cornice at second floor level, stone coped parapet. Outer bays are very slightly advanced with shallow arched recesses to ground floor. 3-pane sash windows, those to attic storey half-size. Double flush-panelled doors to right of centre with ornamental rectangular fanlight, flanking tall narrow lights and glazed Doric porch. Canted bay with similar sashes at each end of range. Right side is symmetrical with canted bays flanking 4 2-storey bays. Left side has whitewashed brick and flint wing with old tile roof. Rear also whitewashed brick and flint with irregular fenestration. Interior: front range and right wing have good marble fireplaces of c.1800 with inlaid coloured marble ornament, moulded cornices and carved frieze panels. Contemporary plaster ceiling cornices with pierced ornament, the front right room with ornamental plaster ceiling, the right wing with central plaster vaulted passage. Hall has screen of Ionic columns to left, and fireplace flanked by segmental arched openings. Right arch leads to re-sited mid C18 staircase with elegant turned balusters, carved scroll tread ends, and wreathed moulded handrail. Left wing has ground floor room with mid C18 ceiling cornice and moulded architrave surround to fireplace. Another mid C18 fireplace to first floor of right wing.

Listing NGR: SU7383894527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 46641

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing