HINWICK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1310545
Date first listed:
07-May-1952
Statutory Address:
HINWICK HALL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310545.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:05:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
HINWICK HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bedford (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Podington
National Grid Reference:
SP 93454 62360

Details

PODINGTON HINWICK SP 9262-9362 15/382 Hinwick Hall

7.5.1952 II* GV

C16 small country house, remodelled early C18, and extended and altered early C20. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Red tile and Colly- weston slate roofs. Two storeys and attics. L-plan with large late C19 wing added to N.W. end. Due to subsequent alterations, most identifiable C16 work has been lost. Some of the S. and W. elevation windows belong to this period. 2 and 5-light leaded casements with stone mullions and dripmoulds. There is also an early large chimney stack on the S. elevation. The E. elevation was totally rebuilt early in C18 as the main entrance front. Bracketed eaves cornice. Each floor has four sash windows with glazing bars in moulded flush surrounds. Central projecting porch of two storeys and attic. Ground floor Corinthian pilasters with entablature flanking doorway with eared bolection surround, consoles flanking pulvinated frieze, broken scroll pediment with central half vase in tympanum. First and second floor have Composite angle pilasters with entablatures. Modillion wooden cornice, above which stands a square weatherboarded turret surmounted by an octagonal arcaded wooden cupola with ball finial and wrought iron weathervane. Full height Corinthian pilasters at corners of E. front. C20 alterations carried out 1908 by Mr G Robinson. The interior was totally remodelled and the N.W. Wing added to compliment the C16 work.

Listing NGR: SP9345462360

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
37151
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].