WYCOMBE ABBEY (PARTS OF WYCOMBE ABBEY SCHOOL)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1310649
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
WYCOMBE ABBEY (PARTS OF WYCOMBE ABBEY SCHOOL), MARLOW HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYCOMBE ABBEY (PARTS OF WYCOMBE ABBEY SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310649.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jun-2020 at 19:58:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
WYCOMBE ABBEY (PARTS OF WYCOMBE ABBEY SCHOOL), MARLOW HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Wycombe (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 86581 92627

Details

MARLOW HILL 1. 963 Wycombe Abbey (Parts of Wycombe Abbey School) SU 8692 NE 1/61 9.l.54. II* 2. Originally known as Loakes Manor, probably early C17, enlarged circa 1755-59 by Henry Keene for Lord Shelburne. Bought 1798 by Robert Smith, first Lord Carrington (1752-1838), politician. Renamed Wycombe Abbey, remodelled in Gothic style by James Wyatt circa 1804 and enlarged. The hall, now called Big School, added 1891; shortly afterwards the house and grounds were sold and became a girls' public school. Ashlar with flint garretting, battlements. The north entrance front has central doorway in arched stone porch, narrow pointed arched flanking windows lighting 2 storey hall with balcony, hammer beam roof, pointed arched east side corridor. Remainder of extension similar with main symmetrical garden front on east. Extensive modern additions, mainly unlisted, on west. Hall on south west incoporates mid C18 pew from All Saints Church made for John Lord Shelburne. Important park landscaped with impressive banks of trees. See K A Wal From one Generation to Another.

Listing NGR: SU8658192627

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
46111
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Walpole, K A, From One Generation to Another
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02096/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John R Powell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top