CHURCH OF SAINT EVERILDA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1310669
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT EVERILDA, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT EVERILDA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310669.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:31:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT EVERILDA, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Everingham
National Grid Reference:
SE 80404 42313

Details

EVERINGHAM MAIN STREET SE 84 SW (east side) 6/73 Church of Saint Everilda 26.1.67 - II* Church. Early C13 west tower, raised C15, remodelled 1588. West porch, nave and eastern apse c1763. Ashlar to west tower and plinths, red brick, slate roof. West tower with west porch, 3-bay nave with canted apse. West tower: small rectangular window to first stage. Chamfered band with raised lozenges. Two brick round-headed belfry openings to second stage. Plain band. Third stage with crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Round-headed west doorway with double-leaf door of eight raised and fielded panels. Datestone in south wall first stage with inscription: 1588. Nave: I R plinth. Three blank round-headed arches, with impost band, rising through full height of building; originally with round-headed windows with sill band, narrowed in C19 to round-headed lancets. Moulded stone cornice, coped gables with obelisks. Plain Venetian east window with impost band. Interior: round-headed tower arch with two narrow chamfers on moulded responds - each a central, small, roll flanked by filleted rolls. Stoup inserted into north jamb. Brass tablet, in English, to Dame Jane Constable, died 1558.

Listing NGR: SE8040742314

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167028
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/03823/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Roworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].