Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310699.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:01:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 71167 36178



3/20 Church of All Saints 16.12.60

GV I Church. Late C12 in origin with chancel of c1300, C13 arcade, mid C14 north aisle, C15 south aisle, tower and clerestory built with funds from will of Nicholas de Bubwith, Bishop of Bath and Wells (1408-1424), possibly designed by Robert Cooper (fl 1442-59); east window of c1485. Limestone ashlar, Westmorland slate. roof. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with clerestory, 3- bay chancel. 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Tall 3-light west window. Traceried 2-light pointed belfry opening with hoodmould resting on string course to each face. Embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave south side: pointed doorway in second bay, and 3-light square-headed Perpendicular windows. Diagonal buttresses to either end and stepped buttress between bays 3 and 4. 3-light pointed Perpendicular window to east end. Plain parapet with moulded coping. Clerestory: 3-light cinque-cusped square-headed windows and embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave north side: pointed doorway, opposing that to south. Square-headed 3-light windows flanked by stepped buttresses, those to outer bays with Perpendicular tracery, those to inner bays with Decorated tracery. Square- headed 3-light reticulated window to east end. Clerestory as south side. Chancel south side: pointed priest's door with tall lancet to left and two 2-light pointed windows with quatrefoil tracery separated by stepped buttress to right. Chancel north side: 2-light pointed window with quatrefoil tracery, with stepped buttress to left. East end: 5-light Perpendicular window flanked by stepped buttresses. Interior: round-headed Norman chancel arch of 3 moulded orders, with scalloped moulding to outer order, set on responds with scalloped capitals. East wall of nave set back over arch with line of Norman gable end with 2 blocked rectangular windows to left and right clearly visible. Above chancel arch on east side is a small winged figure in relief in an elongated quatrefoil, probably c1200. North aisle contains Norman flat buttress and section of corbel table to east end. Arcade: 3 eastern bays of c1300 with round piers and filleted responds carrying double chamfered arches. Western bay carried on Perpendicular octagonal piers. Tall Perpendicular tower arch. C15 octagonal font inscribed "Fons de Bubvid". Bubwith Village Trust, Bubwith: an East Yorkshire Parish, 1979. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and the East Rifi, 1972.

Listing NGR: SE7116436179


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Bubwith an East Yorkshire Parish, (1979)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/03823/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Roworth. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].