GATEWAY, APPROACH WALLS AND SOUTH WALL TO ST MICHAEL'S CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310727
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
GATEWAY, APPROACH WALLS AND SOUTH WALL TO ST MICHAEL'S CHURCHYARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310727.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 22:31:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATEWAY, APPROACH WALLS AND SOUTH WALL TO ST MICHAEL'S CHURCHYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barningham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 08548 10339

Details

NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE (North side)

15/36 Gateway, approach walls and south wall to St. Michael's Churchyard

GV II



Churchyard gateway and walls. Gateway later C19; walls of several C18 and C19 builds. Gateway tooled ashlar with wrought-iron gates; walls coursed rubble with some cut dressings. Patterned double gates in double-chamfered pointed archway with foliage stops to hoodmould. Memorial inscription to Lady Augusta Milbank, d.1874, in quatrefoil panel under coped gable with cross fleury finial. Flat-coped walls 2.5 metres high flank approach lane to churchyard; at far end boarded door in left wall with lintel dated 1840; and late C19 attached piers with gabled tops; beside left pier part of a medieval cross slab built into wall. Similar wall on south side of churchyard extends 15 metres east of entry, and west to south-west corner of churchyard. Set against the wall west of entry are four C18 headstones and 2 medieval slabs, one with 6-arm cross, sword and ?knife.

Listing NGR: NZ0854810339

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111625
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07077/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].