GISBOROUGH HALL, AND RETAINING WALLS, BALUSTRADE, PIERS AND STEPS TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310795
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
GISBOROUGH HALL, AND RETAINING WALLS, BALUSTRADE, PIERS AND STEPS TO SOUTH, WHITBY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GISBOROUGH HALL, AND RETAINING WALLS, BALUSTRADE, PIERS AND STEPS TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 17:38:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
GISBOROUGH HALL, AND RETAINING WALLS, BALUSTRADE, PIERS AND STEPS TO SOUTH, WHITBY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Guisborough
National Grid Reference:
NZ 62440 16294

Details

NZ61NW GUISBOROUGH WHITBY ROAD (NORTH SIDE)

3/213 Gisborough Hall, and retaining walls, balustrade, piers and steps to S.

II

Country house, now private hotel. 1857. M.W. (or S.S.*) Teulon; S. front refaced, extended to E. and attic storey added, 1902/05. Dressed sandstone in irregular coursing. Westmorland slate roofs; stone gable copings; grouped octagonal and square stacks. 2½ storeys. Jacobean. Main south front of 7 bays, symmetrically; 3-storey canted stone bay windows; shouldered attic gable above. All windows have stone mullions and transoms and leaded-light casements. Drip strings between floors. Balustraded parapet. Entrance in W. end of main range, 1857. Heavily moulded pointed segmental-arched opening with sculptured demi-sea wolves on flanking buttresses. Canted oriel window above with stone pyramidal roof, gothic mullioned sashes and intricately carved vine decoration on stepped underside. Rear (N.) wings by Teulon (1857) 2 and 3 storeys. Asymmetrical. Shaped gables; cross-windows with casements, some margin glazing bars; relieving arches. Drip strings. Short bell tower on N.E. wing, hexagonal, shingled timber bell cupola with lead ogee dome. Listing includes c.1905 retaining wall, balustrades, piers and steps to terraced garden adjoining S.front. Rock-faced sandstone; plain dressed sandstone steps and piers with moulded cornice caps and ball finials.

* N. Pevsner, ".... Yorkshire N. Riding, " 1966, p.179.

Listing NGR: NZ6244016294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60070
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 179

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].