CHURCH OF ST CONAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1311012
Date first listed:
04-Nov-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CONAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CONAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311012.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:52:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CONAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Egloshayle
National Grid Reference:
SX0356570014

Details

EGLOSHAYLE WASHAWAY SX 07 SW 4/39 Church of St Conan

II

Church. Dedicated to St Conan. 1883. Built to a design by Bishop E.W. Benson. Snecked local stone rubble with granite dressings and slate roof with gabled ends and sprocketted eaves. Parapet coping at east end of chancel. Plan: Nave and chancel with north transept, vestry on north side of chancel and south porch. A gabled bellcote on the exterior marks the distinction between th nave and chancel. Gothic style. Exterior: Cusped heads to lancets lighting the north and south walls of the nave and chancel. 3-light chancel window with 2 mullion and transom windows with cusped head flanked by 2 lancets at the west end. The gable porch has a chamfered granite shouldered arch. Interior: Not accessible. The font is illustrated by Sedding and was probably brought from the rectory garden at Lanteglos-by Camelford: possibly Saxon in origin with a round bowl, cable bands decorating the shaft on a later C19 base. The C16 carved timber pulpit was brought back from Germany by Sir William Molesworth in the early C19 and presented to the Church in 1928. Colquitt-Craven, Joan Egloshayle Church, Wadebridge, 1986 Sedding E H Norman Architecture in Cornwall. 1908 Plate XXXVI, pp 96-97

Listing NGR: SX0356570014

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
67672
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colquitt Craven, J, Egloshayle Church Wadebridge, (1986)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909), 96-97

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03297/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles A Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].