WARNELL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1311727
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
WARNELL HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WARNELL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 17:59:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
WARNELL HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Sebergham
National Grid Reference:
NY 35052 41339

Details

NY 34 SE SEBERGHAM Warnell

9/178 Warnell Hall (formerly listed as 11.4.67 Warne11's Hall)

G.V. II*

Fortified house now farmhouse. Early or mid C16 incorporating part of a C14 tower with alterations, dated and inscribed over entrance T & M D 1683 with Denton coat-of-arms. Large blocks of mixed calciferous and pink sandstone with graduated greenslate roof and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays with stair projection to rear making shape; originally a fortified courtyard plan. Top-glazed panelled door in alternate-block surround under cornice and voussoir frieze. 2-light stone-mullioned windows under cornices are of 1683. Confined fenestration is explained by adjoining courtyard range, that to right listed separately, but that to left now demolished, leaving blank wall. Rear 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds could be C16. Wall at left rear has earlier blocked window and is said to contain the remains of a newel staircase of the C14 tower, now demolished. Further single-storey rear extension is probably early C18. Interior has large segmental-arched stone fireplace in principal ground-floor room. Late C17 oak staircase with twisted balusters and broad moulded handrail. House of Dacre family which was exchanged with the Denton family for Denton Hall in 1507; sold by the Dentons to Sir James Lowther in 1774 and still in the possession of that family. See W.T. McIntyre, Warnell Hall, Cumberland News, 4 August 1934; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xx, p238.

Listing NGR: NY3505241339

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72486
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 20, (), 238
McIntyre, W T, 'Cumberland News' in Warnell Hall, (1934)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].