LANGFORD COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1311812
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
LANGFORD COURT, LANGFORD LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311812.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 03:32:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
LANGFORD COURT, LANGFORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burrington
National Grid Reference:
ST 46984 60124

Details

ST 46 SE BURRINGTON C.P. LANGFORD LANE, Lower Langford (west side)

5/48 Langford Court

G.V. II

Detached house. Dated 1651 with early C19 and 1875 alterations and additions. Render to central block, squared and coursed rubble to 1875 block to left hand, dressed stone openings and copings, ashlar facing to central doorway and stacks, wooden cornices, slates to central block, double Roman tiles to later additions. 2 storey, 7-bay range with advanced 3-bay centre and further advanced lower 2 storey wings to each end forming a symmetrical composition. Windows are 12- pane sashes to centrepiece and 8 and 16-pane sashes to the remainder. Wings have small pane French windows. One 1875 cross-mullioned window to recessed left hand section. Windows to lower 2 storey 1875 range are 3 and 5-light ovolo mullions. Centrepiece of main block has projecting tripartite -door surround with cornice and pediment and round-headed windows flanking round-headed glazed door. 1651 date tablet above fanlight. Round-headed, keyed window above and below eaves a clock with 1875 date. Dentil eaves cornice to centrepiece and wings, plain parapet to remainder. End brick stacks. Range to rear has gabled C17 dormers with one 3-light ovolo mullioned window. Interior. The interior was institutionalized when Court was school. (W.J. Robinson, West Country Manors, 1930).

Listing NGR: ST4698460124

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33916
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robinson, W J, West Country Manors, (1930)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02752/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].