Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1311826

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1961



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:37:06.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Portbury

National Grid Reference: ST 50295 75432


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/165 CHURCH OF ST MARY 11.10.61 G.V. I

Parish Church (Anglican). C12; altered and extended early C13, c.1300 and C14/C15; restored 1870-75. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel and chantry chapels. Coursed sandstone rubble with freestone (oolitic limestone) dressings; C20 tiled roof. West tower is mid C15 of 4 stages with diagonal buttresses, and a plain embattled parapet with pinnacles; polygonal stair turret projects at south-east, also with an embattled parapet; 2-light bell chamber windows with tracery of quatrefoils in circles; 3-light west window and west door in moulded surround. North aisle: clasping buttresses; embattled parapet with blank arcading; three 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cinquefoil heads and chamfered mullions, all under square dripmoulds and relieving arches; north door has a chamfered surround with a 4-centred head; 5-light east window of stepped, cusped lights; 3-light cusped, lancet west window. Chancel: clasping buttresses; projecting north chantry chapels, the west one has a triple lancet window with chamfered surrounds and the east one is gabled and has 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cinquefoil ogee heads to the tracery; east window is 3-lights, geometrical with intersecting tracery, cusping and daggers; two 3-light, c.1300, Geometric windows on south side, one with cusped intersecting tracery, dagger tracery and a quatrefoil above, the other with stepped cusped lancets; priest's door with round arch on small corbels. South aisle has an embattled parapet with a blank, panelled arcade; angle buttresses with off-sets; 5-light east window with trefoil heads to tracery, moulded mullions and 4-centred arch; two 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cinquefoil heads to tracery and panelled lights above, all under a square hoodmould. South porch is C15, 2 storeys with an embattled parapet and a blank, panelled arcade; diagonal buttresses with off-sets, moulded doorcase. Interior. C12 south door; 2 colonnettes, with scalloped capitals; the arch has an interlocking key ornament which covers the intrados and extrados and a chain of lozenges with fleurons; C15 image niche. Nave: 5 bay arcades of double chamfered arches and piers without capitals, stops at the base and square stone seats; full length stone seats run along the north and south aisles; the east respond of the east bay of the north arcade rests on a coarsely cut head; triple sedilia and piscina in south arcade, trefoil heads and colonnettes with circular capitals; ogee headed stoup to east of south door, hollow chamfered with fleurons; rere arches to north arcade windows and east window of south arcade; large squint from north aisle; C19 roofs on a good collection of 44 carved corbel heads, late C12 in the south aisle, late C14/C15 in the north aisle and late Ciileanly C12 in the nave; the nave roof has crown posts. Tower arch is C15 with hollow and wave mouldings. Chancel arch is c.1300, restored in C19, but it rests on late C12 piers of 5 clustered shafts, the innermost one has a keel moulding, with scalloped capitals; the bases are 5 feet above the present floor level. Chancel: cusped rere-arches on corbel heads of east window and eastern window of south wall; triple sedilia and piscina with trefoil heads, roll moulding with a fillet, carved head stops, columns with circular capitals; carved corbels for lamps and lenten veil; restored wagon roof; Eastern chantry chapel has a fine ribbed, pointed tunnel vault. Pulpit: C19, Perpendicular style wooden, on ashlar base. Font: C12; square scalloped bowl on circular stem and square base. C14 bench ends at eastern end of choir stalls; C14, re-used parts of benches in south aisle. Monuments. North aisle: Thomas Cauldwell, died 1770, incised stone tablet with round headed surround; brass to Sara Kemish, died 1621, with kneeling and lying figures of children, C19 stone surround. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings [of England : North Somerset and Bristol).]

Listing NGR: ST5029275436


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33560

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing