CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1311867

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 09:28:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Haynes

National Grid Reference: TL 08109 41190

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 04SE HAYNES CHURCH END 1/73

23.1.61 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin

GV II*

Parish church. C14 and C15, with extensive rebuilding 1850 by Henry Woodyer for the Rev. Lord John Thynne. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables. Chancel, N vestry, N chapel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Most windows reworked C19, with pointed heads. Chancel:3-light E window, 2-light SW window. N vestry: doorway to N elevation, single lights. N (Thynne) chapel: oeil-de-boeuf to E, 2 single lights to N, gabled roof. Nave: 4-bay pointed arched arcades, S one C14, N one C19, Aisles: mainly 2-light windows, pointed arched doorway to N. Gabled SE bay has rose window serving Carteret chapel. S porch: gabled, with pointed doorway. W tower: C15. 3 stages, with octagonal stair turret to SW angle. 2-light pointed windows to all sides of bell-stage and w elevation lower stage. Pointed W doorway. Embattled parapet. Angle buttresses. Interior: Chancel: decorative ribs and polychrome stencil patterning to roof and walls. Brass to Anthony Newdigate, d.1568. Thynne chapel: alabaster effigy of Lady Thynne, 1868 by H. H. Armstead. Canopy, floor and ironwork by Sir George Gilbert Scott. E window by O'Connor. Polychrome stencil decration and angel corbels to roof, by Clayton and Bell. Carteret chapel: monuments to First Lord Carteret, d.1826 (marble portrait head in oval surround, by Westmacott) and to 2nd. Lord Carteret, d.1838. Rose window with 6-cornered star by Woodyer.

Listing NGR: TL0810941190

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 37627

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing