BLEASE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1312207

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: BLEASE HALL, B6254

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLEASE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 15:25:39.

Location

Statutory Address: BLEASE HALL, B6254

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland (District Authority)

Parish: Old Hutton and Holmescales

National Grid Reference: SD 54925 89167

Details

SD 549891 OLD HUTTON & HOLMESCALES B6254 (off South side)

4/14 Blease Hall 21.11.52

G.V. II*

House. Probably c.1600 for Robert Bateman; masons probably the Gibson family who worked on Levens Hall. Slobbered rubble with quoins. Graduated slate roofs with moulded copings and kneelers. Originally Hall with cross-wings although north wing may have formed part of earlier building; south wing demolished early C19. 2 storeys with cellar and attics; 4 bays overall(1:1:1:1). Present main entrance through late C20 gabled porch adjoining south return. Garden elevation: North wing has part-glazed door with casement to left; 5-light 1st floor window, 4-light attic window, both mullioned and transomed under hoodmoulds with labels. Hall has central full-height bay with 8-light (1:3:3:1) king-mullioned and transomed window to each floor (blocked until 1985); 2-light mullioned window under hoodmould with labels to 1st floor left, remains of similar window to 1st floor right. Rear wall of hall rebuilt c.1830; rear of wing retains part-blocked cellar door with window to right, both with chamfered surrounds. Large projecting chimney to north end; stepped cylindrical mid chimney and south end chimney, all rendered. Interior: Hall entered by studded plank door in (reset?) chamfered surround with false 4-centred head. Large fireplace with moulded segmental arch opposite has panelled door in architrave to either side; left-hand door leads into former parlour with foliate plaster frieze, right-hand door leads to dog-leg oak stair with square newels, turned balusters (renewed 1985) and moulded handrail. 1st floor of hall retains remains of fine plaster ceiling with 9 ft diameter vine-scroll decoration, figures, frieze, and plaster moulding to beams. Wing has 3 braced trusses with carpenters' numbers. Main timbers throughout are stop-chamfered. At time of survey (June 1985) building is being refurbished to a high standard with plasterwork cleaned and repaired and panelling replaced.

Listing NGR: SD5492589167

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 76703

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing