Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PIRAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312468.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:11:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 77047 52036


PERRANZABULOE SV 75 SE 5/92 Church of Saint Piran 30.5.67 GV II*

Parish church. 1804 (datestone) incorporating much C15 masonry from the dismantled church of St Piran at Perranporth. Restored in 1873. Granite ashlar tower. Killas rubble walls with granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends. Plan: Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south transept and south porch. Exterior: Virtually unaltered since rebuilt by 1904. Rebuilt C15 2-stage west tower and C15 Perpendicular doorways and windows except for C19 windows in Perpendicular style to south wall of south transept and to north wall of north transept. Tower has set-back buttresses, moulded strings and embattled parapet with pinnacles over the corners. 4-centred arched doorways, traceried windows with clear glass. Interior: C15 5-bay arcade with standard A (Pevsner) piers, plastered walls. Probably 1873 arch-braced and wind-braced roof structure except for waggon roof over chancel. Fittings: Probably C12 font base and shafts, C15 or C19 retooled bowl; C16 carved bench ends incorporated into tower screen; 3 similar bench ends incorporated into pulpit. Otherwise C19 fittings. Monuments: 2 slate slabs mounted on south wall; Perran Hoskyn died 1675 and circa early C18 slate to Cottey family of Reen (qv); marble wall monument (west wall of south transept to: Frances, widow of John Beauchamp of Pengreep (qv) and wife of John Thomas Esq of Chyverton (qv), died 1825 aged 85.

Listing NGR: SW7704752036


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/08910/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey K. Ward. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].