Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312508.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:59:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 12377 33941


TL 1233 SHILLINGTON & CHURCH STREET(North Side) STONDON 19/80 23.1.61 Church of All Saints


Parish Church. Predominantly C14, with C18 tower,and C19 tracery to many windows. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Parts of tower and other patches of repair in red brick. Chancel, N and S chapels, nave, N and S aisles,S porch, W tower. Externally no distinction between chancel and nave clerestories or between chapels and aisles. Total clerestory has 6 windows per side, all of 2-lights with pointed heads, 3 lighting nave, 3 lighting chancel. Combined aisles and chapels have to each side 3 3-light windows and one 2-light window, the tracery varying on each side but matched by that on opposite side of church. Chancel: 3-bay arcades each side, E bay of both blocked to springing level. E end of chancel has vaulted crypt necessitated by sloping site. 4-light pointed arched E window is C15 insertion within larger original winnow opening. Plain parapet above has carvings of an ass and a tun, the rebus of Matthew Asscheton (see below). Flanking window are 2 embattled rectangular turrets containing stairs to roofs. Pointed chancel arch. N. and S Chapels: each of 3 bays. Each has 3-light E window, S one with cambered head, N one with pointed head. N chapel has small N door to E bay. S chapel has single light to E bay and small pointed S door to W bay. Pointed chapel arches. Nave: 4-bay arcades to both sides. N and S aisles: each has 2 windows. Each has C14 pointed arched doorway in W bay, the S one enclosed within C19 gabled porch. This replaced original 2-storeyed porch, of which ogee-headed staircase doorway is retained of door. At W end of S aisle is blocked C15 4-centred doorway. W tower: rebuilt 1750 after collapse of original one earlier in century. Retains original tower arch. 3 stages, upper of 2 of brick. Diagonal buttresses to W angles. Bell-stage has round-headed louvred window to each side. 2-light W window with C19 Gothic tracery to ground stage. Plain parapets throughout building. Interior: heavily restored octagonal font. C19 roofs, although re-using some original timbers. Good screens to chapel and chancel arches and enclosing chancel, mostly C15 with some C19 panels. Some medieval pewing, including some N aisle ones with re-used screen panels. N chapel has fine brass to Matthew Asscheton, Rector of Shillington (d,1400)and another C15 one to a priest. Floor slab to James Hanscombe, d.1660. Wall tablet to John Briscoe (d.1766) and Longueville family, of white and gray marble, with putti to apron.

Listing NGR: TL1237733941


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10709/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].