THE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1312529
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
THE COURT, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312529.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 15:05:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COURT, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Tickenham
National Grid Reference:
ST 45752 71493

Details

TICKENHAM C.P. CHURCH LANE ST 47 SE 4/95 The Court 13.10.52 (Formerly Listed as Tickenham Court) - II*

Farmhouse. A complete hall of c.1400 and parlour/solar wing of c.1500 added to its west end, with some C19 and C20 alterations, extended to north for farmhouse, probably in C18 with later alterations. Rubble with limestone dressings, double Roman tiled roof, solar wing pantiled. T-plan. North elevation of hall, 2 storeys, has two 2-light cusped windows with quatrefoils and hood moulds, 4-centred arched door to left with moulded surround, hood mould and relieving arch, lancet at upper level to left, similar door in moulded surround to right; gable end of hall at left return has blocked upper door, building formerly extended further, with line in upper stonework, raised coped verges, small single storey lean-to. South elevation of hall has 2 similar upper windows, similar door to right, tall pointed arched moulded opening to left with C20 plate-glass, wall set back above door to right. East elevation of parlour wing has at ground floor left a straight-headed transomed 4-light window, upper lights ogee, lower lights pointed, all cusped, lower light to right of C20 plate-glass, hood mould, straight joint to right and 4-centred arched door; at upper level to left of joint, 2-light window with cusped ogee heads and hood mould, possibly formerly bay in angle between hall and parlour; gable end of parlour has large blocked window at ground floor, first floor has large pointed arched opening in hollow- chamfered surround, plate-glass. Rear of parlour (to west) has similar straight-headed transomed window at ground floor right, 2-light C19 window under eaves with ogee cusped heads and hood mould; external stack to left and similar straight-headed window, lower lights of C20, polygonal stair turret to left containing newel stair; to left of stair, first floor has 2 C19 2-light casements with chamfered mullions and hood mould, ground floor has similar 2-light casement and C20 French window with 2 cusped stone lights set over and hood mould, single 2-pane light to right. Attached to left, 2-storey farmhouse, taller 2-storey to far left, has 3-light, 2-light and single C20 light at first floor; east elevation of farmhouse has C20 casements and 2 gabled 3-light dormers. Interior not accessible at time of survey (April 1985), sources describe roof over hall with collar-beams and arched-braces, roof over parlour wing with collars, arched-braces and 3 tiers of windbraces. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958. Forrest, D. : The Making of a Manor 1975. Wood, M. : The English Mediaeval House. Byrchmore in SANHS 1900).

Listing NGR: ST4575271493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33758
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, D, The Making of a Manor, (1975)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Wood, E , The English Medieval House, (1965)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/00500/14
Rights: Copyright IoE John Boothroyd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].