CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1312818
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312818.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jun-2021 at 03:10:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Norton Malreward
National Grid Reference:
ST 60351 65057

Details

ST 66 NW NORTON MALREWARD CHURCH ROAD

2/172 Church of Holy Trinity 21.9.60 II G.V. Parish church. Late C12, altered (tower) C15 and rebuilt 1860-61 by James Wilson of Bath. Consists of west tower, nave, south aisle, chancel and north vestry. Coursed squared rubble with freestone dressings, slate roof. West tower of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses to the lower stage, embattled ashlar parapet and pinnacles; single Perpendicular style bell chamber window with quatrefoil pierced vent; 3-light Perpendicular style west window. Nave and south aisle have three 2-light plain Perpendicular style windows with buttresses between (1860s); enriched corbels with arms and symbols. 3-light east window. Interior. 3 bay arcade to south aisle with squat granite columns and elaborate foliate capitals. Restored late C12 chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer one with twisted colonettes enriched with beading, scalloped capitals, nailhead zig-zag moulding; outer moulding of large beads. Font: C12, cylindrical stem and recut top. Monuments: Tower: man and wife, c.1325 with heads in relief on a lid. C15 slab with a pair of foliated crosses. Chancel: Robert Paine, died 1720, inscribed oval tablet. Nave: Adams family, 1766, inscribed marble plaque under broken pediment with arms.

Listing NGR: ST6035165057

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32596
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01643/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Lewis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].