CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1312862
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312862.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 20:15:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chacewater
National Grid Reference:
SW 75087 44075

Details

CHACEWATER CHACEWATER SW 74 SE 5/53 Church of Saint Paul 30.5.67 GV II Parish church. 1828 when parish was created out of Kenwyn. Rebuilt 1892, except for tower, to a design by Edmund Sedding of Plymouth. Elvan ashlar and killas, some granite and Polyphant stone dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable end over east end, adjoining tower at west end plus lean-to aisles to north and south below clerestorey. Restrained Perpendicular style outside, pointed inside. Nave and chancel under 1 roof, west tower, north and south aisles. West entrance front of central 4-stage embattled tower, the second highest in Cornwall with strings dividing stages of diminishing width. Octagonal embattled stair turret to east of north wall rising to higher level. Blocked tower doorway with Perpendicular style Polyphant stone tracery in tympanum of 4-centred arch. Over doorway in 3rd stage is early Perpendicular style 2-light granite window with hoodmould. Similar windows to upper stage with slate louvres. Similar doorway to each aisle flanking tower with 4-centred arch and original 1892 doors. North and south walls of aisles have 1:2:1 bays with 2 central bays broken forward with chamfered corners. Each bay has 3-light flat-headed Perpendicular style windows, those to end bays having hoodmoulds. Trefoil headed lights with original 1892 coloured glass. Similar window to east end of south aisle. Chancel has slightly projecting gable with 5-light limestone window from St Mary's Church Truro, installed by Pearson and with original glass circa mid-late C19. Central figure of Jesus flanked by Saint Philip, Saint John, Saint James the Less and Simon the Zealot. East end of north aisle has doorway like recess with glazed Perpendicular style Polyphant stone tracery in tympanum of 4-centred arch. Clerestorey of nave and chancel has 5 small arch headed windows to north and south. Vestry doorway to east end of south aisle is later insertion. Interior is restrained with exposed killas rubble walling. 5-bay arcades between nave and north and south aisles with octagonal Polyphant stone piers and pointed granite arches. Pointed arch between chancel and alter projection. Pointed rubble tower arch. 1892 waggon roof over nave and chancel. 1892 fittings of Perpendicular style painted freestone font; octagonal pulpit of polychrome polished Serpentine with open arcade on turned shafts, carved lecturn of figure of Saint Paul by Harry Hems of Exeter and simple pitch pine pews with blind arcade carving to ends. Earlier oak and mahogany grained boards in Gothic style within tower, pointed with The Lords Prayer, The Creed and The Ten Commandments. 1 original bell in tower. In 1866 the 'West Briton'of the day reported, "During the thunderstorm on Saturday last (Feb 3rd) Chacewater Church which has recently been repaired was struck by lightning which split the wall from ground to roof. Several windows were smashed into hundreds of pieces being hurled from the west end up to the pulpit, a distance of 90 feet". Information from Church Guide.

Listing NGR: SW7508744075

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
63147
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14726/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ivor Corkell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].