PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1313078
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313078.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 23:27:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Loxton
National Grid Reference:
ST 37624 55824

Details

ST 35 NE LOXTON CHURCH LANE, Loxton

4/56 Parish Church of St Andrew 9.2.61 II*

Parish church (Anglican). C11 origins, C13 - C15, early C2O restoration and extension. All rendered rubble and plain clay tile roof apart from organ chamber and vestry of snecked rubble and slate roof. Nave and chancel, north chapel, south porch tower, south vestry and organ chamber. Nave and chancel; 3 light Perpendicular west window under slight drip mould; to north a restored 2 light Pecorated window and a square head 2 light window under a dripmould; Between adjacent to a C2O buttress is blocked north door with segmental head; at north east is rood stair in lean-to turret; at south a single lancet; chancel, under same roof has a 3 light east window, restored in 1913; north chapel; gabled with cusped trefoiled east window; to north a 2 light Perpendicular window; to south a small cusped window; small C20 lean-to boiler shed; single stage embattled south tower, low buttresses only at outer corners, at east and west there is a weathered set back about halfway up; plain slit windows to bell chamber; south organ chamber and vestry, dated 1926, to south a weathered buttress separates a priest's door with shouldered jambs and 2 light window above from a small cusped 3 light window; east has a 2 light window and a quatrefoil above; consecration cross and date on quoins. Interior; nave and chancel; cusped rear arch to south lancet; wagon roof on angel corbels of 1900; much restored and moved Perpendicular rood screen; chancel panelled and new reredos with excellent detail in 1913 at same time as nave stripped of plaster and new stone floor inserted; strange flat arches pierce nave and chancel wall for vestry and organ chamber; south tower porch; south doorway has damaged remnant, inner arch of C11/C12 arch; segmental headed arch has simple mould with pellet decoration above; empty niche above that; simple square squint through great depth of nave wall for view of chancel. Fittings; octagonal C14 font with Jacobean hood; Perpendicular pulpit of the local school, half octagon, 2 traceried lights per side divided by buttresses with free standing finials, foliate frieze and cornice above, all carried on trumpet foot on human corbel. (Source: N. Pevsner : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Listing NGR: ST3762455824

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33395
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/03049/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].