Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313216.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:36:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
Warmfield cum Heath
National Grid Reference:
SE 36137 20975



1/98 Church of St. Peter

22.11.66 GV II*

Church. C14 tower, body of church rebuilt c1875, tower parapet renewed c1904. Perpendicular style. Large dressed stone to tower, smaller hammer-dressed stone to body of church, stone slate roof. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel with north chapel. 2-span roof. 2-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, with offsets to west angles only, rising to just below 2nd-stage band. C19 west window of 3 cusped lights with panel tracery. North-east stair-turret has lean-to roof and arrowslits. South face has inserted C19 window. 2-light belfry window to each face has Y-tracery and cusped lights. Set just below is small chamfered light. Corner gargoyles. Ashlar embattled parapet with corner crocketed pinnacles. Nave: 4 bays. Porch, set in 1st bay, has 2-centred-arched doorway with stop-chamfered surround, diagonal buttresses, coped gable and inner C19 arched doorway. Bays to right hand: plinth, 3-light windows with cusped lights set in a square-headed double-chamfered surrounds, and offset buttresses dividing bays. Larger buttress at division between nave and chancel. Coped gable. North aisle has one original buttress with carved figure on offset. Chancel: lower. 3 bays articulated by buttresses. 2-light window with hoodmould, 2 blind bays. Two 3-light east windows with vesica above chancel window. Grotesque gargoyle reused as kneeler to right.

Interior: open aisle arcade has columns of clustered colonnettes, quatrefoil in section, with moulded capitals decorated with fleurons. C19 hammer-beam roof, arched-brace roof to chancel. Choir stalls with carved poppy heads by John Wolstenholme (York). Stained glass windows by Wailes (Newcastle), some fragments of medieval glass remain in nave and aisle windows. Octagonal cup-shaped font dated 1718. The chief merit of the church is a fine collection of C18 wall monuments. The most important of these is the Stringer Monument by Guelfi: 2 detached busts on a sarcophagus with straight tapering sides; background by Kent with inscription, a frame starting from 2 big volutes and crowned by an open-segmental pediment carved coat-or-arms with putti. The Smyth chapel has numerous monuments dating from 1731; including that to John Smyth of 2 putti uncovering his portrait on an oval medallion, that to Lady Georgina Smyth and others signed by Flaxman; 1799.

N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1974) p294.

Listing NGR: SE3613720975


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 294


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12751/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Robin Hodges. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].