CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1313257
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, PURSTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:16:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, PURSTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Ackworth
National Grid Reference:
SE 44031 18076

Details

ACKWORTH PURSTON LANE (north side) SE41NW High Ackworth

2/23 Church of St. Cuthbert 25.3.1968

GV II*

Parish church. C15 west tower, otherwise 1855 by J. W. Hugall (Pevsner). Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry. Four-stage tower with diagonal buttresses and weathered plinth has a wide 2-centred arched west doorway with 2 orders of cavetto moulding and C19 hoodmould, above this a restored 4- centred arched 3-light window with matching surround, Perpendicular tracery, and hoodmould, a recessed lancet to the 3rd stage, a dripband carried round; in each side of the top stage, a recessed belfry window of 2 cusped lights with a quatrefoil in the head and a hoodmould, a dripband with 3 gargoyles, a restored embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles; and a flag mast rising from the centre of the roof; the south side has a niche to the 3rd stage, and a diamond-shaped clockface above this (the band stepped over it). Three-bay nave and aisles; 1st bay of south aisle has a gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, 2-centred arched outer doorway with chamfered surround and hoodmould, a niche with a statue, and an apex cross; buttressed aisles have 2-centred arched windows all of 2 cusped lights with trefoils in the heads (cinquefoils in north aisle) all under hoodmoulds with figured stops; 3-light windows at east and west ends of aisles, in similar style; nave has square-headed clerestory windows of 2 cusped lights. Three-bay chancel has moulded 2-centred arched windows of 1 and 2 lights, under hoodmoulds with foliated stops, and large 2-centred arched east window of 5 lights with shafts and bar tracery in Decorated style. Vestry on north side, of 2 bays with a north transept, has a 2-centred arched doorway with shafts and 2 orders of moulding, and a hoodmould, flanked by windows similar to those of the aisles, and a tall 2-light window in the gable wall of the transept. Interior: nave arcade of double-chamfered 2-centred arches carried on quatrefoil piers with moulded caps; tall chancel arch with similar responds, foliated caps, and 2 orders of moulding; attached to east end of north aisle wall, an ex situ monumental slab commemorating Sir Roger Hopton and Anne his wife (died 1506), with Latin inscription round the margin and incised full- length cross flanked by shields of arms; on north wall of tower, a fine early C18 wall monument to members of the Lowther family of Ackworth Park, in a Corinthian aedicule with broken pediment; in base of tower, a medieval tub font on quatrefoil base, and at west end of south aisle an octagonal font with raised lettering on the side panels, including the date 1663. In south aisle, a wall monument to Robert Gully, son of John Gully Esq of Ackworth Park, with full inscription recording the circumstances of his death during the Chinese War of 1842 (now known as the Opium Wars).



Listing NGR: SE4403118076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342623
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].