CHURCH OF ST LUCIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1313292
Date first listed:
16-May-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUCIUS, BUTTS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUCIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313292.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 17:58:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUCIUS, BUTTS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Kirkburton
National Grid Reference:
SE 16424 12698

Details

SE 11 SE BUTTS ROAD Farnley Tyas 5/13 Church of St. Lucius

II

Gothic Revival Church. 1840. By R. D. Chantrell. Founded by William, 4th Earl of Dartmouth. Ashlar. Stone slate roof. Stone gutter on carved square brackets each with a different motif and one bearing the date 1838. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, and 2-tier west tower with squat octagonal spire, all with diagonal buttresses with shaped and crocketted off-sets. South porch with very heavily moulded door surround. Square headed 3-light nave windows with cusped, ogee headed lights. (One window to north side is blocked.) Two-light similar chancel windows and also a blind, moulded doorway. 4-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. The 2-tier tower has an adjoining stair turret. 2-light west window with tracery. The 2nd tier has paired, cusped bell chamger openings with traceried heads (those to west are blocked).

Interior: Very tall pointed arch to tower. Shallow elliptical chancel arch. Carved oak fittings. Queen-post trusses to roof.

Listing NGR: SE1642612699

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
341129
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/00322/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A W Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].