CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1313556
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313556.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:47:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Holme Valley
National Grid Reference:
SE 13804 12060

Details

SE 1312 CHURCH STREET 9/35 (Honley)

16.1.67 Church of St Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) GV II

North-east/south-west Gothic revival Church. 1843 by R D Chantrell, with alterations in 1888 and addition in 1909. Hammer dressed stone, buttressed, with ashlar dressings. Stone slate roof with ashlar roll-top copings. Hipped roofs to aisles. Three sided apse to chancel with 1888 stained glass and small bellcote at roof apex. Nave of 7 bays with clerestorey lights. Aisles with simple lancet lights with hood moulds, some with stained glass. Stone porch at each end of south-west side. Four tier bell tower with large pinnacles. Three-light louvred bell chamber. Clock face to each side. Vestry and organ chamber added to north end, 1909. Interior: Arcades of 7 bays on clustered colonnettes. Gallery at south-west end and extends for 5 bays to each side. Colourful "wine-glass" type pulpit (1888). Restored stencilling to chancel walls. Hammer beam trusses to roof. History: erected on site of chapels of pre-1507 and of 1750. Reference and photograph in 'The History of Honley', M A Jagger, 1914.

Listing NGR: SE1380412060

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340262
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jagger, Mrs M A , The History of Honley, (1914)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].