CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1313632
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, TOWNGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313632.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 14:52:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, TOWNGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Holme Valley
National Grid Reference:
SE 14282 08187

Details

SE 1408 TOWNGATE 12/360 (Holmfirth)

16.1.67 Church of the Holy Trinity

II

Church. Circa 1780. By Joseph Jagger. Ashlar. Stone slate roof with modillioned eaves cornice. Square 2 tier tower at east end over chancel with gothic battlements and pinnacles. Two storeys. Three by 5 bays. Ground floor impost band. First floor sill band. Segmental headed windows to first floor. Round arched windows to ground floor. Entrance on south side, right hand bay, with segmental pediment on consoles. Moulded doorcase, double doors with rectangular leaded fan. Interior: Gallery on 3 sides on slender Doric columns. Flat ceiling with applied panel moulding and ogee bracket cornice. Early C19 wall memorials. 'The Buildings of England: Yorkshire West Riding', N Pevsner, 1959.

Listing NGR: SE1428208187

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340588
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - The West Riding, (1959)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01258/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stanley Sykes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].