CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1313651
Date first listed:
03-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, BOOTHROYD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313651.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:47:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, BOOTHROYD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 23160 21780

Details

DEWSBURY CB BOOTHROYD LANE SE 22 SN (Dewsbury Moor)

2/5 Church of St. John

II

Commissioners church in Lancet style. 1823-7 by Thomas Taylor. Ashlar. Stone slate roof with crenellated parapet. Square, 4-tier, diagonally buttressed west tower with crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. 3-light bell chamber openings with Y-tracery. 7-bay heavily buttressed nave. The buttresses continue above the parapet as gabled pinnacles. 2-light lancets with Y-tracery and hood moulds. Small, single bay chancel with large 3-light east window with Y-tracery. Tiny Lady chapel c.1946 on north side of chancel.

Interior: Bay divisions marked by buttresses which support vaulting over windows. Panelled ceiling. West gallery with panelled oak front and elaborately carved frieze. Panelled oak dado to nave and chancel. Octagonal font with small granite colonnettes on clustered pedestal, restored 1927. Very colourful stained glass. East window by Francis Barnett of York. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE2316021780

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340688
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00859/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].