CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1313827
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313827.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 02:42:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 11764 12755

Details



919/50/339 CHURCH LANE 20-OCT-03 SOUTH CROSLAND (North side) CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

II Church. 1827-30 in a very plain lancet style to the designs of Peter Atkinson Junior, chancel said to be later (information from the churchwarden), perhaps c. mid C19. Ashlar masonry with slate roofs, the slates laid in diminishing courses. Plan of W tower, galleried nave with S doorway and chancel with NE vestry.

EXTERIOR: The chancel has set-back buttresses and a triple lancet E window in an arched recess. The S side of the chancel has a blind lancet window. Nave of 5 narrow bays with pilaster buttresses and tall lancet windows without hoodmoulds. Steeply-gabled S porch with a chamfered doorway and 2-leaf door with Gothick panelling, a brattished crest and glazed overlight. The tower has clasping pilaster buttresses and large square-section pinnacles with pyramidal caps. The belfry windows are paired lancets with hoodmoulds. The tower has a tall W lancet and a half-glazed lean-to on the S side. 2002 NW extension.

INTERIOR:The nave is galleried on 3 sides. Chancel arch with octagonal responds with moulded capitals. The 3-sided galleries are supported on octagonal piers and plain cross beams. Gothick panelled gallery front with cusped blind arches and a probably later dwarf balustrade. Tie beam and queen post roof to the nave with arched braces and braces from queen posts to collar. The 2-bay chancel roof is an elegant arch braced design with no collar, the braces springing from wall shafts. The chancel has a panelled dado and integral timber panelled reredos with a cornice and vine trail, with a memorial date of 1910. c. late C19 choir stalls with multifoil profile. Font with memorial date of 1887 has an octagonal bowl on a base of 4 pink granite polished shafts' 1950s font cover. The area under the W gallery is glazed off. The nave has a dado of vertical boards with a brattished cornice. Nave and gallery benches have multifoil ends and backs with fielded panels. A plaque records that the gallery was reseated in 1898. Stairs to the gallery are probably late C19 with stick balusters with stout turned newel posts with ball finials. The space under the tower was originally the baptistery and has a dado of blind Gothick panelling. The Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten Commandments in frames are kept in the gallery.

A 2-phase lancet style church with a severely plain exterior but preserving all three galleries although chancel and other fittings mid/late C19.

Sources Pevsner, Yorkshire: The West Riding, 1967 edn., 491.



Listing NGR: SE1176412755

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
339675
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04216/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].