CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314137
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, WAKEFIELD ROAD BD4

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314137 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 07:38:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, WAKEFIELD ROAD BD4

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 17733 31832

Details

1. 5111 WAKEFIELD ROAD Bowling BD4 Church of St John SE 13 SE 9/1158

II

2. 1842, built at the expense of the Bowling Iron Company and with extensive use of iron in the structure. The architects were R H and S Sharpe of York assisted by Fred Stott, the works engineer at the Bowling foundry. The exterior of the church is cased in sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Shallow aisles and transepts. Prominent west tower. Simple Early English lancet Gothic. The tower has angle buttresses and is of 3-stages with twin lancets to top bell stage machicolated parapet with corner pinnacles and octagonal stone spire. West door at base of tower shafted and with drip mould on carved stops. The interior framework is entirely of cast iron with slender clustered shafts and ribs to vault. Repaired at the end of the C19. Triple shafted lancet group forms east window. The tower is a prominent landmark.

Listing NGR: SE1773331832

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
337294
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12576/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Pickles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].