TOWN HALL (INCLUDING PUBLIC LIBRARY)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314237
Date first listed:
20-May-1976
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL (INCLUDING PUBLIC LIBRARY), STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314237.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Aug-2020 at 08:09:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL (INCLUDING PUBLIC LIBRARY), STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Ilkley
National Grid Reference:
SE 11850 47569

Details

1. 5111 STATION ROAD Ilkley LS29 8HB ---------------- Town Hall (including Public Library) SE 1147 1/52 II 2. 1906-8 by W Bakewell. Of mixed style, chiefly Franco-Flemish classical. Tripartite central section recessed behind flanking blocks. 2 storeys. Ashlar with mainly mullioned windows. Steep, hipped slate roofs. Almost symmetrical. Mid part of central section: entrance recessed within Ionic columns and pediment, with transomed window either side; upper storey has 3-light oriel, with window either side of 4 lights divided by miniature piers, and cartouche in recessed panel over. Pyramidical roof. Central ridge clock-turret with louvred upper stage. 3-storey turret with lead ogee cap either side of mid part and beyond these single bays of thermal windows below and oriels of slight projection above. Right-hand projecting end block is slightly wider than left and has recessed central doorway. Both have 3-light pair of flanking windows below, and above have large 3-light window rising through a moulded cornice to form lunettes under moulded arches above, flanked by pair full-length carved figures and pair of roundels beyond these. Tripartite roofs with central pyramidical section crowned by tall finial.

Listing NGR: SE1185047569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
337704
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].