BRADFORD CONDITIONING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314327
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
BRADFORD CONDITIONING HOUSE, CANAL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314327.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 12:01:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRADFORD CONDITIONING HOUSE, CANAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 16479 33898

Details

1. 5111 CANAL ROAD BD1

Bradford Conditioning House SE 1633 35/330

II

2. Corner site with Cape Street. The Conditioning House was built by the Corporation on continental precedents to check and control the moisture content of textiles by means of laboratory examination and certify their true weight and length. It is the only one of its kind in this country. The service was established in 1887 and the Conditioning House was purpose built 1900-02 by the city architect F E P Edwards to the designs of F Wild who died in 1901. The building is erected on 4-storeys and basement around 3 sides of an open court. Restrained detailing with elements of the Queen Anne style. Sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings, ashlar ground floor and vermiculated rustication to the basement, ie in the warehouse tradition giving emphasis to the lower storeys. Centrepiece to Cape Street with pedimented blind attic and ball finials, flanking pilaster strips and pilastered portal with ornate east iron gates. The canted corner with Canal Road is similarly treated and the return elevation is a long, plain range with 2 segmental pedimented blind attic features: important corner site.

Listing NGR: SE1647933898

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
336210
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15815/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].