FIRBECK HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314615
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1966
Statutory Address:
FIRBECK HOSPITAL, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FIRBECK HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 00:30:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
FIRBECK HOSPITAL, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Firbeck
National Grid Reference:
SK 56608 88797

Details

FIRBECK NEW ROAD SK58NE (east side, off) 3/20 Firbeck Hospital 29.7.66 (formerly Firbeck Hall)

GV II

Country house known as Firbeck Hall now hospital. Probably late C16 core remodelled mid C18 and with substantial early C19 additions, the whole applied with shaped gables probably mid C19, interior remodelled 1935. C16 house for William West, the C19 work for Henry Gally; 1935 interior by Robert Cawkwell of Sheffield (Stocks pp 11-19). Ashlar limestone, graduated slate roofs. Original house incorporated in C18 block: 2 storeys with attics, 3:2:3 x 2:3:2 bays. Early C19 addition set back on right: 1/2-bay link to 2:3:2 bays the central bays canted; 1-storey canted-bay projection on far right with 3-storey, 2-bay block set well back the front angle infilled by flat-roofed addition. C19 ranges enclose courtyard to rear entered via archway on right return. C18 block: moulded plinth. Central recess has entrance with C20 double door and fanlight in C19 Doric portico with double keystone to round arch, narrow flanking sashes, entablature. All other bays on ground and 1st floors have unequally-hung 15- pane sashes in architraves with moulded sills and small keystones. Deep eaves band beneath 3 shaped gables, the outer ones with cavetto-moulded 2-light mullioned windows beneath arrow slits, central gable is smaller and has single-light window and flagpole. Early C19 bays on right: chamfered plinth, rougher stonework. Sashes with glazing bars in raised ashlar surrounds, 2nd-floor sashes of 6 panes. Canted-bay projection has pyramidal corbelling to a flat-fronted, shaped gable with arrowslit; flanking bays each with smaller matching gable as has front panel of 1-storey canted-bay projection on eight. Stepped gable to 2 bays set back on right. Several ridge stacks with moulded plinths to the whole range. Rear: chamfered plinth and large quoins to older walling now partly rendered; unequally- hung 28-pane sashes with architraves as front; on left are old cavetto-moulded cross-windows on 2 floors beneath dripstones. Left return: projecting outer bays incorporate large quoins to older walling rising to 2 storeys, central recess with scrolled architrave to segmentally-pedimented doorway; bays on right marred by C20 addition and fire escape; 24-pane sashes to 1st floor bays 1, 2 and 6. Right return: square turret with 4 shaped gables forms right flank of courtyard archway having keyed archivolt surmounted by draped cartouche beneath phoenix (?). Interior: retains early-C19 service stair with square balusters and turned newels, lantern over has radial glazing bars. Otherwise interior of 1935 including period staircase. Firbeck estate purchased in late C16 by William West, a lawyer of Moorgate Hall, Rotherham and Steward to the 5th Earl of Shrewsbury and to the Manor of Sheffield at the time of Mary Queen of Scots' imprisonment. Various changes of ownership in C18 before acquisition in early C19 by Henry Gally of Langold. Gally had commissioned Sir Jeffry Wyatt to build a house at Langold nearby but turned his efforts to Firbeck and carried out major additions and modifications before his death in 1846. Converted to a country club in 1935 but has served as a hospital from c1940 to present day. C20 additions not of special interest. Known history fully detailed in: C. Stocks, Firbeck and the Three Estates, 1979, pp 11-19.

Listing NGR: SK5660888797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335766
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stocks, C , Firbeck and the Three Estates, (1979), 11-19

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05436/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Eggleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].