CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314955
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:13:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Crayke
National Grid Reference:
SE 56038 70655

Details

SE 5670 CRAYKE CHURCH HILL 7/15 (north-east side)

17.5.60 Church of St Cuthbert GV I

Church. C15 on earlier site. North aisle 1865. Ashlar. Roof concealed. Perpendicular. West towner, 3-bay single-aisled nave, 2-bay chancel and south porch. Two-stage tower has 3-light window and 2-stage bell opening. Nave and chancel: 2-light elliptical windows with hood moulds, partly restored. Battlements and pinnacles throughout, C19 gargoyles. Plinth and buttresses with off-sets. Interior: tower and chancel arches double chamfered. Three-light east window with glass by W Waites, pre 1852. Good low-pitch oak roofs with moulded tie beams on corbels, some replaced timbers. Chancel screen, incorporated some C15 work. C15 font. Pulpit dated 1637. C17 pews with straight tops and knobs at each end. Late C16 monument to Sir John Gibson and his wife with recumbent stone effigies. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, N Riding, 1966, p 130-1.

Listing NGR: SE5603870655

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333415
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 130-1

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03325/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].