CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1315083.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:15:19.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 34967 02622
WORSBROUGH WORSBROUGH VILLAGE
1/110 Church of St. Mary
Church. Traces of C12 chancel otherwise C14 and C15, aisles remodelled in 1838 by
J. P. Pritchett. (Colvin, p665) . Ashlar sandstone, roof not visible. West
tower, 4-bay aisled nave (2 bays internally) with south porch, single-bay chancel
with south vestry. Decorated; Perpendicular-style aisle windows of 1838; embattled.
Tower: chamfered plinth. Blocked west doorway beneath 2-light window, small
round-headed light over with hoodmould; clock in lozenge-shaped panel on south,
that to north in octagonal panel. Square-headed belfry openings with louvred
ogee-headed lights. String course with corner gargoyles; recessed octagonal spire
with weathervane. Nave: chamfered plinth and wave-moulded band. Diagonal west
buttresses, offset buttresses between bays and to eastern angles. Porch to bay 1:
double-quadrant-moulded arch having hoodmould with carved stops. 3-light transomed
windows with hoodmoulds, that over porch truncated. Cavetto-moulded string course
beneath parapet. North side: no moulded band, square-headed door with hoodmould,
windows as south. Chancel: narrower. C12 north window. Lean-to south vestry
beneath 2-light window. C14 East window of 3-lights with reticulated tracery and
Interior: narrow double-chamfered tower arch; 2-bay arcades with ½-octagonal responds, octagonal piers and moulded capitals to double-chamfered arches, southern arches more pointed. Chancel has chamfered responds and double-chamfered arch with re-used C12 stones to extrados having much zig-zag ornament on east side. Broad arches into north organ chamber and south chapel. C15 porch roof with gilded bosses, nave roof has moulded tie beams and 2 purlins on each slope, also 2 bosses; chancel roof similar, unmoulded. Superb C15 porch door with Gothic inscription on mid-rail ('IHS NICOLAS GENN THOMAS ALOTT'). 1 Gothic bench end at east end of central aisle. Elmhirst box pew in north-west corner of nave. Font: broach-stopped base, octagonal with Gothic side panels and date '1662'. Wall monuments include: over font to Elizabeth Carrington (d1710), ornate marble cartouche with cherubs and drops; in south chapel to H and T Edmunds (d1708/9), draped panel with 2 cherubs and galleon on panel over; table monument in front of organ to Sir Thomas Rockley (d1517), another momment in recess behind organ is to Sir Robert Rockley (now obscured by raised floor level). Finest Rockley memorial is the wooden freestanding double-decker monument between chancel and south chapel: shields in panels round base, cadaver on lower bunk, crudely-painted knight on upper bunk beneath tester; the figure is Sir Roger Rockley (d1533). C17 and C18 brasses on east side of south chancel pier, two C17 Elmhirst brasses near their pew. Painted board in south chapel to John Rayne (d1632), repainted and made larger in 1684. C19 glass including unusual window depicting Adam and Eve (south of tower arch). Pevsner (p558) records a Norman stone depicting centaur shooting bird with bow and arrow (vestry).
H. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 1978.
N. Pevsner, BOE, 1976 ed.
C. and R. Thomson, St. Mary's Parish Church, Worsbrough Village, 1982 booklet.
Listing NGR: SE3497002623
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M , A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840, (1954)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
Thomson, C, R , , St Mary's Parish Church Worsbrough Village, (1982)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing