HARSLEY CASTLE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1315142
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1983
Statutory Address:
HARSLEY CASTLE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HARSLEY CASTLE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1315142.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 17:53:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARSLEY CASTLE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
West Harlsey
National Grid Reference:
SE 41478 98082

Details

NORTH YORKSHIRE HAMBLETON 5337 WEST HARLSEY SE 49 NW 2/89 Harlsey Castle Farmhouse 18.3.83 GV II* Farmhouse, part of C15 castle. Early C15 and C19. Stone, rendered, pantile roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Right-hand bay has a lower roof. To bay 2 a 4-panel door with overlight set in plain doorcase with pilasters, frieze and cornice . All windows are 4-pane sashes with stone sills, those to ground floor have flat stuccoed arches. Stone coping to each end and to left of right-hand bay. End stacks and one to ridge. Rear: a small 4-centred arched window, now blocked. Interior has 3 very large beams. Thick original walls up to eaves level. History: built by Sir James Strangwayes, a judge of Common Pleas; he purchased the manor in 1423. His son James was High Sherriff of Yorkshire 1445-6, 1452 and 1468 and Speaker of the House of Commons 1461. It probably fell into disuse after the manor was forfeited to the Crown in the C16. VCH, Vol I, p 434.

Listing NGR: SE4147898082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332522
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 434

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12583/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].