CHAPEL OF SAINT MARY MAGDALEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1315439
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF SAINT MARY MAGDALEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1315439.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:04:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF SAINT MARY MAGDALEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Hambleton (District Authority)
Parish:
Thrintoft
National Grid Reference:
SE 31890 92972

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012

SE 39 SW 6/31 29.1.53

THRINTOFT THRINTOFT Chapel of Saint Mary Magdalen

II*

Chapel of St Mary Magdalen now a barn. C13-C16. Rubblestone with ashlar dressings. Corrugated asbestos roof. Rectangular plan. Offset diagonal buttress. Modern stable door with, to left, remnants of pointed-arch doorway with imposts in wall. To right, high up, 2 flat-headed chamfered cross-window openings with brick infill. Rear: a 4-centred arched doorway and to right remnants of a pointed-arch doorway. Right return (east elevation): pointed- arch window. Interior: C15 Piscina at east end of south wall; remains of tracery in head of east window; later roof trusses. Chapel endowed 1253 as a chantry chapel connected to Jervaulx Abbey. One of only 3 monastic grange buildings surviving in North Yorkshire.

Listing NGR: SE3189092972

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
332076
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13803/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].