Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1315719.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 01:52:43.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Ryedale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 86110 75472


SCAMPSTON TOWN STREET SE 87 NE (north side) 4/57 Church of St Martin 10.10.66 - II Church. 1845. By G T Andrews for Col William St Quintin. Dressed sandstone on plinth with limestone ashlar buttresses and dressings; slate roof. West bellcote; 4-bay aisled nave and south porch; chancel and vestry. Square- headed west window of 2 cusped lancets. Paired cusped lancets above, and similar single lights at west end of both aisles. Gabled bellcote on plinth has twin pointed arches on chamfered responds and octagonal centre shaft. Crocket finial. Nave south side has dwarf angle buttreses. Gabled porch has hollow-chamfered opening beneath roll-moulded, pointed arch on colonettes with moulded capitals. Coved hoodmould on leaf stops and crocket finial. Pointed south door on C-hinges. East of porch are 2 square-headed windows of paired cusped lancets. 3 similar windows on north side and central dwarf buttress. Chancel south side has pointed priest's door in triple-chamfered opening. To west, pointed window of pointed cusped lights beneath reticulated quatrefoil. Dwarf buttresses east of door and at east angle. On north side is the vestry with pent roof and truncated stack. Pointed east window of 3 lights with geometric tracery beneath coved hoodmould on corbel heads. Vestry east window of paired lancets. All windows have double-chamfered openings. All gables coped. Nave and chancel gable crosses. Interior: north and south arcades of double-chamfered arches on cylindrical columns with waterholding bases and moulded capitals. Pointed chancel arch on half- octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Trefoil-headed double sedilia in sanctuary south side. Finely carved rood screen, stalls, altar, pulpit and prayer desk donated by William Herbert St Quintin in 1906. Round-arched niche on side shafts in chancel north wall contains a carved marble Deposition placed in memory of his Uncle, Rev George Danby, by the same benefactor in 1906. Octagonal font with tall crocketed cover. Memorial window in chancel south side is inscribed: "Good Christian people of your faith pray for the good estate of Wm St Quintin and Dame Louisa, his wife, who built this Church AD MDCCCXLV". Several original windows bordered in pretty stained glass.

Listing NGR: SE8611075472


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08592/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].