CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1316671
Date first listed:
11-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, INTAKE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1316671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 18:22:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, INTAKE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Selby (District Authority)
Parish:
Birkin
National Grid Reference:
SE5303526524

Details

BIRKIN INTAKE LANE SE 52 NW (east side) 4/3 Church of St Mary 11.12.67

GV I Church. C12 with C14 south aisle and upper stage of tower and C19 additions and alterations. Magnesian limestone ashlar with stone slate roof and wooden porch. West tower, 2-bay nave with south aisle, chancel and apse. Tower: 2 stages. Slit openings to lower stage. Band. 2-light belfry windows with Reticulated tracery. Band with gargoyles. Battlements and pinnacles. C19 south porch contains Norman doorway of 4 orders, from outer arch: medallions, chevron moulding, beakhead, and plain roll moulding to inner arch. Colonnnettes to outer 3 arches with interlace and scallop capitals. South aisle: plinth. 3-light, straight-headed windows with Reticulted tracery under hoodmoulds and similar pointed window to west. Similar 5-light window to east. Battlements to nave. Stone slate coping. North side: chamfered plinth. Entrance to west under shouldered arch. Sill band throughout. Central round-headed window with restored nookshafts and hoodmould. Corbel table. Chancel: south side: priest's doorway dated 1883; eroded, blocked lancet window; continuous sill band above; round-headed window with nookshafts under hoodmould. Corbel table and ashlar coping to gable to each side. 5-bay apse with pilaster buttresses: from south to north: 2-light square-headed window with trefoil lights under elliptical arch. Second bay has sill band and round-headed window with nookshafts with scallop capitals supporting arch decorated with medallions under hood with ball moulding. East window: 3-light window with Reticulated tracery to the head under arch of beakheads beneath hood with ball moulding. Fourth bay: sill band, round-headed window with nookshafts with scallop capitals supporting arch of chevron moulding under hood with ball moulding. Fifth bay: mock sill band and further band above. Corbel table. Interior: tall, round tower arch, partly blocked by organ but with single nookshafts with scallop capitals. Nave arcade has hexagonal pier and double-chamfered arches ending in headstops. To north side a recessed niche containing early C14 effigy of a cross-legged civilian holding his heart in his hand. To south aisle an ogee-arched piscina. Tall chancel arch with 3 shafts with scalloped volute capitals. Chevron moulding to arch. Arch to apse supported on shafts with scallop capitals with volutes. Transverse arch and 2 ribs of heavy section in 3 rolls all on shafts with scallop capitals with volutes. Sedilia. Font: cup-shaped with octagonal rim dated 1663 on earlier base. Fragments of C14 glass in south aisle east window. Wall mounument to Elizabeth Wright died 1783 signed J Fisher Sculpt/York. A late C17 cartouche to Thornton family in chancel, another c1650, and one c1720 to William Harrison. In south aisle a C14 grave slab with incised cross. This church is notable in retaining its C12 apse. Pevsner, N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, pp 104-5.

Listing NGR: SE5303526524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
326057
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 104-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01244/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Batchelor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].