THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1317042
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1969
Statutory Address:
THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, B 6160

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317042.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2021 at 15:21:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, B 6160

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Burnsall
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SE 03270 61483

Details

BURNSALL B 6160 SE 06 SW (east side)

2/90 The Old Grammar School

6.10.69

- II

The Old Grammar School, now a junior school. 1601 with C19 alterations. Ashlar, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 6 bays. Plinth. Off-centre full-height gabled porch. Moulded doorway with 4-centred arch under a square head with foliated spandrels. Continuous dripmould above a panel inscribed 'William Craven Alderman of London founder of this Schoole Anno Dmi 1601'. The panel is flanked by engaged columns, which support a cornice. Inner studded board door with 4-centred arch. To right of left- hand bay a 4-panel door in chamfered surround, with a 4-centred arch. All windows have ogee mullions, with leaded light, those to ground floor have continuous dripmould, that to porch on first floor has continuous dripmould. Left-hand bay is of 3-light as is window above porch. Bay to left of porch has 2 lights. Other windows are of 4 lights. Ball finials, chamfered stone coping. Bellcote to right-hand gable. Ridge stack with 2 diagonally set shafts.

Listing NGR: SE0326861484

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
323746
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08578/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Margaret Gibson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].