CHURCH 0F ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1317137
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH 0F ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH 0F ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317137.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:19:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH 0F ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Pilham
National Grid Reference:
SK8624493801

Details

SK 89 SE PILHAM MAIN STREET (North side)

9/42 Church of All Saints 16.12.64 G.V. II*

Parish church. c.1750 with C19 additions. Limestone and blue lias, banded coursed rubble, ashlar dressings and pecked ashlar walling on south side, lead roofs. Nave, western tower, apsidal chancel. Tower of 2 stages with chamfer topped plinth, concave string course at top surmounted by embattled parapet. 4 stubby corner obelisk pinnacles. Ground floor has single west semi- circular headed window with plain ashlar surround. Above is a blank keyed oculus with a short section of chamfered string course beneath. In the upper stage are single wooden latticed semi-circular headed belfry lights in the 4 sides. North of tower is a small C19 boiler house. Nave north wall has plinth, plain eaves course and raised stone coped gable to lead roof. Single 2 light window, the lights having semi-circular heads, beneath plain tympanum. Reveals and mullions are chamfered with simple impost blocks, contained within a semi-circular headed arch with raised keystone and chamfered plain reveals. Short ashlar apse with plinth and moulded eaves course. Central Venetian window. To south wall, in ashlar, 2 two light windows matching that on the north. Access is provided by west door south of the tower. C19 planked door with traceried fanlight, cavetto moulded surround with plinth blocks, moulded impost blocks and raised triple keystone. Interior: a panelled vestibule leads to nave, which has crude dado panelling and cyma moulded plaster cornice. To the tower is a small panelled double door with L hinges. This door together with panelling re-used in the vestibule, and dado panelling to apse and pew ends is all raised and fielded. Wide round headed arch to chancel with single plain inner order. Of the original fittings, only the pulpit and altar rails with their robust turned balusters survive. Otherwise, the altar, lectern and font dated 1879 are all C19. Fine C19 cast iron circular candleabrum with fleur de lys brattishing and 4 three branch pew candlesticks with twisted shafts and shamrocks. In the chancel is a monument to William Dunkin, d.1838, in the form of a Greek altar with anthemion in pediment and flaming urn with acanthus base above. In the chancel are good stained glass windows, and the early nave windows retain their delicate geometric lead cames.

Listing NGR: SK8624493801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196852
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05897/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].