This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1317197



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Burton Coggles

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193997

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



2/22 Church of St Thomas a Becket (formerly listed as Church of 20.9.66 St Thomas the Martyr) I

Parish church. C12, early C13, early C14, C17, 1874 restoration. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, ashlar, lead and tiled roof with stone coped gables. Western tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, chancel, south porch. Early C13 2 stage unbuttressed tower, with chamfered string curse, C13 corbel table with human heads, early C13 ashlar broach spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes in the principal directions, all having annular shafts and pointed lights, the tower ones with pierced quatrefoils and dogtooth surrounds. The belfry stage of the tower has single lancets. West wall has a lancet with above a trilobed and gabled empty niche. In the west wall of the north aisle a 2 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads and quatrefoil. In the north wall a pointed chamfered doorway with beyond a late C13 Y traceried window. In the east wall a 3 light window matching that to the west. 3 two light C14 clerestory windows, cusped ogee heads, moulded pointed surrounds. Above, a plain moulded parapet. Early C14 chancel with pair of 2 light windows having curvilinear tracery, mouchettes, pointed chamfered surrounds. C19 3 light east window with quatrefoil to gable. The 2 southern chancel windows match those to the north, the more westerly with a triskele. Beyond a contemporary low side window, cusped, in rectangular surround. c.1300 south aisle, with moulded parapet, having easterly 2 light window, and to the south side a 3 light window, Y tracery but with shallow cusping. To the west an early C14 2 light window, cusped ogee heads and quatrefoil. C14 gabled porch, pointed and moulded outer arch, C19 3 light side window to west, pointed and moulded early C14 inner doorway with C18 panelled door. Interior. 3 bay C14 nave arcades with octagonal piers and responds, moulded capitals, double chamfered arches, human head label stops. In the west wall of the nave a C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds. Above a C12 round headed single splayed window and the scar of an earlier gable. C14 trefoil headed piscina in the south aisle. C14 chancel double chamfered arch, octagonal responds and capitals with to the north, ogee headed upper and lower doorways to the roof loft. The nave roof is C17 strutted tie beam. In the south aisle a fine roof with moulded principals, fluted wall plate, the initials H C dated 1622. In the chancel C19 double piscina and carved panelled stone reredos. C19 roof with carved angel corbels. Fittings. c.1874 stained glass to chancel by Hardman. All fittings C19 except for recut C14 octagonal font. Monuments. In the south aisle a brass plaque to Robert Cholmeley d.1590, a rectangular inscription with moulded alabaster surround, strapwork pendant to the base, scrolled foliage to the sides surmounted by a cartouche of arms. Set into the wall around it are 3 miniature brasses, of a knight, a civilian and a lady and 3 brass shields of arms, c.1620. In the aisles are 4 C17 and C18 wall plaques, 2 limestone, 2 marble, one 1717 with a triangular pediment and urn, another 1692 with scrolled pediments and achievement of arms. In the porch, to either side on the stone benches are 2 early C14 cross legged effigies of knights, one with nodding ogee canopy, cusped and crocketed, with angels above, both with chain mail and surcoats.

Listing NGR: SK9796825848

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 97969 25839


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317197 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 03:11:37.

End of official listing