CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1317217
Date first listed:
23-May-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 18:43:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
East Stockwith
National Grid Reference:
SK 78747 94512

Details

SK 79 SE EAST STOCKWITH CHURCH LANE

7/16 Church of St. Peter

II

Parish Church. 1846 by T. Johnson with addition of 1898. Rockface limestone ashlar with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north porch, vestry, turret on south east end of nave. The whole church has been built in the Early English style. The west end has a plinth, sill band, 2 buttresses and a single 2 light window with quatrefoil under a 2 centred arch with hood mould. The gabled north porch has a 2 centred arched doorway and lancet side lights. In the north side of the nave are 4 lancets the easternmost pair being closely spaced and linked by a hood mould. The added vestry has decorative ridge tiles and a moulded gable stack. The square headed west door with chamfered reveal and the 5 light north window with chamfered mullion and continuous cornice are in the C17 style. Above the cornice is an off centre panel with a cusped head, inscribed with date of 1898 in Roman numerals. The east chancel wall has triple stepped lancets with common hood mould and sill course. The south chancel wall has a 2 light lancet window under a hood mould. The square south east tower of 2 stages has a broached top surmounted by an ashlar octagonal belfry with short ashlar steeple. In the east wall is a planked door in a plain surround and the base of the tower is lit by lancets with a single slot to each side of the top stage. The belfry has 8 lancets, one to each face, with gablettes over. The south nave wall has 6 lancets the end pairs being closely set. The interior has pews, screen, brass lectern and font all dating from C19 and stained glass in the east window by W. Wailes dated 1846.

Listing NGR: SK7874794512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196826
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].