BRANSTON HALL AND OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1317238
Date first listed:
23-Oct-1981
Statutory Address:
BRANSTON HALL AND OUTBUILDINGS, LINCOLN ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317238.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 17:14:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRANSTON HALL AND OUTBUILDINGS, LINCOLN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
North Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Branston and Mere
National Grid Reference:
TF 01479 67413

Details

TF 01 67 BRANSTON & MERE LINCOLN ROAD 7/13 (south side) Branston Hall and 23/10/1981 Outbuildings II

Country House. 1885 designed by J McVicar for Lord Vere Bertie, in Elizabethan Revival style. Rock faced stone with ashlar dressings. Green slate ridge roofs, with tall octagonal stacks in various groups. Ashlar plinth, first floor band topped with cornice and coped parapet and Dutch coped gables with finials. Two-and-half-storey. Garden front has central 3-light cross windows, with 2 single light windows eitherside, flanked by square bay windows each 5-light cross casements. Above 5-light central oriel, flanked by 2 single light windows and again flanked with square bays. Above 3, 3-light windows in gables, the central gable has plaque inscribed "1885". East front obscured by C20 additions. Entrance front has grand porte corchere of 4 columns, 4 square columns and 4 pilasters all Tuscan Doric with strapwork decoration, topped with ornate entablature and pierced balustrade. Plus 3-storey stair turret rising from square to octagonal and topped by octagonal leaded cap. Two-storey service wing to east, with single storey outbuildings around a courtyard beyond. Various single storey C20 additions to east and south-west. Interiors have contemporary staircase and fireplaces with some panelled rooms.

Listing NGR: TF0147967413

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192299
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/05737/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].