QUERNMORE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1317735
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
QUERNMORE PARK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317735.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 00:01:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUERNMORE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Quernmore
National Grid Reference:
SD 51652 62767

Details

SD 56 NW QUERNMORE

5/176 Quernmore Park (Formerly listed as Quernmore 4-10-1967 Park, Hall)

- II*

Country house, 1795-8, probably by Thomas Harrison, remodelled by Alexander Mills in 1842. Sandstone ashlar with hipped slate roof. A symmetrical composition with a main block linked to pavilions set back on each side. Main block of 3 storeys, and 5 bays on north, south and east sides. Windows sashed with glazing bars and plain ashlar reveals. 1st floor sill band. Cornice with blocking course. East front has tetrastyle Ionic portico added by Mills. Links each of one storey and 3 bays, with blank niches over the windows, which are sashed with glazing bars, except for the middle window of the north link which is now unglazed. The pavilions are of one bay and 2 storeys each and have pedimented gables and 1st floor sill bands. Their ground-floor windows are tripartite with baseless Doric columns as mullions. The southern pavilion has sashed windows Doric columns as mullions. The southern pavilion has sashed windows, the 1st floor sill now lowered. The northern pavilion, in a derelict condition, has sashed windows with glazing bars. Inside, Mills created a 2-storey central hall with Grecian plasterwork. On the ground floor are pilasters, above are columns and pilasters, and openings to a landing. Above is a lantern and coved ceiling. Drawings of proposed alterations by Mills are in the Lancashire Record Office.

Listing NGR: SD5165262767

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182240
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].