FOLLY CASTLE ABOUT 3/4 MILE NORTH OF WIMPOLE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1317807

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1986

Statutory Address: FOLLY CASTLE ABOUT 3/4 MILE NORTH OF WIMPOLE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOLLY CASTLE ABOUT 3/4 MILE NORTH OF WIMPOLE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317807 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 04:10:07.

Location

Statutory Address: FOLLY CASTLE ABOUT 3/4 MILE NORTH OF WIMPOLE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wimpole

National Grid Reference: TL 33452 52076

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIMPOLE TL 35SW Folly Castle about 3/4 mile north of Wimpole Hall (formerly listed as Gothic 22.11.67 ruins in Wimpole Park)

GV II*

Folly Castle. 1768-70 by James Essex. Red brick with coursed clunch ashlar facing. Three towers linked by curtain walling. The centre tower forms an eye-catcher from the house and is of four stages. Originally with embattled and corbelled parapet. Each stage has windows of two lights with Y-tracery in two centre arches and crosslet loop lights. Curtain wall has on west side an original entrance opening with shields of arms and three-light window with Y-tracery above. The design is based on drawings supplied by Sanderson Miller for the first Lord Hardwicke in 1749-50.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs. Mon. (2) p.223 Dr T Cocke: The Ingenious Mr Essex architect (exh. cat. Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge 1984)

Listing NGR: TL3345252076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52810

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cocke, T, The Ingenious Mr Essex Architect, (1984)
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

End of official listing